Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS)
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) was introduced by the Australian Government on 1 January 2014. It provides financial assistance to families to help assess the health of their children and teenagers’ teeth and to introduce preventative strategies to encourage a lifetime of good oral health habits. Recent changes announced on the 8th February 2017 have reinstated the maximum benefits available to each eligible child over a two year period back to $1013.
What is the CDBS?
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) is a dental benefits program for eligible children aged 2-17 years that provides up to $1013 in benefits to the child for basic dental services over a 2 year period.
Services that receive a benefit under the program include examinations, x-rays, cleaning, fissure sealing, fillings, root canals, extractions and partial dentures. Many of these services have claiming restrictions.
Benefits are not available for orthodontic or cosmetic dental work and cannot be paid for any services provided in a hospital.
Who is eligible for the CDBS?
A child’s eligibility is assessed at the beginning of each year and lasts the whole calendar year. A child is eligible if they are:
- aged between 2-17 years for at least 1 day of the calendar year
- eligible for Medicare
- part of a family receiving Family Tax Benefit Part-A; or
- receiving one of the following Australian Government Payments:
- Youth Allowance
- Abstudy Allowance
- Disability Support Pension
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Carer Payment
- Double Orphan Pension
How do I know if my child/teen or children are eligible for the CDBS?
- You may receive a letter from Medicare about Child Dental Benefits Schedule
- You can confirm your eligibility by accessing your Medicare online account at my.gov.au or calling Medicare general enquiries line on 132 011.
Bulk Billed dental services under this scheme include:
- general dental examinations
- teeth scaling and cleaning
- fissure sealing
- root canals
To check your child’s eligibility and to make an appointment while you still can, contact us today. More information can be found here.
CDBS in the News
The below video clip featured on Channel 9 News with Dr Miller discussing the program (March 2016)