During this exciting time in life, many expecting mothers can put their life on hold while they are pregnant. If you are pregnant, you should know the following:
- Dental examinations (without x-rays) as well as getting your teeth cleaned are strongly encouraged on a 6 monthly basis and are completely safe for you and your baby.
- Prevention through examinations and hygiene visits can eliminate painful conditions such as toothaches and infections during pregnancy, which can place undue stress on you and your baby.
- If you have a painful condition while you are pregnant we will endeavor to get you out of pain as quickly and simply as possible, even if that means we need to delay the final treatment until after your pregnancy.
- If we have to take an x-ray (we will assess whether an x-ray is essential for the safe and effective delivery of the treatment required) then we take all the necessary precautions. We use digital x-rays which use a much lower dose of radiation than conventional x-rays, we point the x-ray beam away from your stomach, and we also use a lead apron to block the radiation and scatter to the rest of your body.
- You may want to ask us to use a pillow under your back if you find it uncomfortable to lie in the dental chair. Our aim is to keep the appointments as brief as possible.
- As your hormones are going crazy at this time, your body reacts much more intensely to small amounts of plaque, which can lead to a condition called pregnancy gingivitis. You may find your gums will bleed a lot more than usual. Once again, regular cleans and good brushing habits are essential throughout your pregnancy so plaque levels can be kept to a minimum and this condition can be prevented.